The Equity Committee works on any and all projects of equity in the community. So far, the group has made great strides in a few areas:
During summer 2016, a CURA/Humphrey School intern, Bettsy Hjelseth, completed a food report for St. Anthony Park that discovered huge food disparities. Our lower income residents are unable to access healthy and affordable foods. We are in the process of rectifying that disparity. The first step included rerouting donations from our community garden to stay within our own community. We will continue exploring opportunities to partner on correcting this imbalance.
Diversity and Inclusion Training
At the December 2016 SAPCC Board meeting, Board members were trained on diversity and inclusion in an effort to weave equity into our highest decision-making body.
Ten Year Plan
Our Committee continues to work hard to develop language and training for all of our other committees on how to incorporate diversity and equity into our ten year planning process. This includes questions like, “who gets to live in St. Anthony Park in 2030?”
The Equity Committee has developed a partnership with local soccer nonprofit, Joy of the People (JOTP). As JOTP works on building out the South St. Anthony Park Rec Center, the Equity Committee is a committed partner in including neighbors in the decisions made at that site. View our Community Benefits Agreement here.
2020 Equity Committee Goals
- Foster coalition building to meet community needs within the district and across districts.
- Encourage and facilitate diversity training and education for the Community Council.
- Review and update the Equity Framework.
- Strategically and intentionally plan out food justice events and initiatives.
- Provide a voice for equity and affordable housing on neighborhood land use initiatives.
- Actively recruit and broaden diversity on the Equity Committee so that we’re more representative of the neighborhood.
- Support creative, approachable public events that bring awareness of diversity and equity issues in the community.